Old August 10th 05, 01:04 AM
Jimmy B.

Rich wrote:
Jimmy B. wrote:

I have an Apollo (now Garmin AT) GX50 GPS. The data card failed last
week. It will not take a program. I use Jeppesen's skybbound service
for updates.

Now, the card is a Linear 4 Mb Flash Disk.

Garmin wants $153 for a replacement card but these cards can be bought
anywhere for $60.

Does anyone know if there is anything special about the card? I'm
assuming that it is a stock card, but maybe Garmin writes a special
file to it. Maybe like a format system?

Has anyone tried inserting a generic flash card into the skywriter box
and attempting a program? Will it accept the card?

(My cynical nature leads me to believe that Garmin writes a file to
the card and that Jeppesen's skywriter looks for this file so that
Garmin can overcharge for replacement cards.)

Nawwwww

Go for it.
It's just a generic memory card.

Rich

Okay in researching this, I find that there are several types of flash
disk. There are 5 Intel types and 1 AMD type. Do you know which one it is?