Old October 21st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default How come the wings bank when I use the rudder

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On a 3 hour cross country today I was amusing myself by flying with
rudder pedals only (all right, OK, a little yoke usage to maintain
altitude). But then I got to wondering why applying rudder pressure
causes the plane to bank. All I could think of was that rudder usage
produces asymmetric lift because one wing is somewhat blanked by the
sideways motion induced by the rudder? Also, the rudder surface is
above the plane's center of lift but I don't know how much of a factor
that is.

As you yaw, the "outside" wing is flying faster than the "inside" wing and
generates more lift which gives you bank.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com