Old August 19th 03, 02:02 PM
Snowbird

Borislav Deianov wrote in message ...
Investigate what it takes to land this bird
with an appropriate amount of dual.

Definitely. I already have an instructor lined up, the best one there
is. ATP, 23000 hours, airshow performer, flown 300+ types, etc, etc. I
swear I learn more from him in one hour than in five hours with any of
the several other good instructors I've flown with.

Boris,

Maybe it's just not clear to me but:
1) have you flown this Skybolt? Any Skybolt?
2) have you called insurance agents, or the insurance for this
partnership, and found out what it will take to have yourself
added?

I know you're a good tailwheel/acro pilot, but I don't think
one can overestimate the "luuuuuve" factor in buying a plane.
Out of several planes with similar, suitable characteristics,
you might easily find you vastly prefer one or another, for
small details of ergonomics or handling or visibility, which
you just can't tell *until you fly that make and model*.

I hear that you have a great instructor, but the insurance
company which was willing to insure one of the other partners
when he had less experience than you have now, might not be
willing to cover YOU at a reasonable cost no matter how fantastic
your CFI is and how good a pilot you are. That was then,
this is now, KWIM?

re mechanic, have you looked at Ron Wanttaja's homebuilt pages?
There are several Skybolt web pages listed, and one of them,
or one of the people who maintain them, might know of a type club
where you could ask. Also, contact your local EAA chapter, not
only might you get leads to a bunch of mechanics knowledgeable in
a similar type of plane (if not Skybolt) but you might get a bunch
of skinny about that particular plane.

Good luck!
Sydney