Old April 8th 14, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Sectional Charts on Soaringdata.info

Hello again all,

As many of you know, I publish digital US sectional charts in CMR format for SeeYou and JPG format for GoogleEarth on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. These charts have been reprojected from the original Lambert conformal conic to a rectangular lat/lon projection that will display without the distortion you would encounter if you tried to import those charts directly.

Recently the FAA embarked on a new initiative to make VFR charts more friendly for digital displays. For example, there is a new color scheme that looks much better on computer and smart phone screens. The April 3rd charting cycle incorporates these improvements. I just finished uploading the reprojections of those charts to my site.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a defect in the new charts: the blue markings that delineate Class E airspace with floors at 1200 feet appear to have disappeared entirely! The same is true of the jagged blue lines that depict Class E with floors other than 700 or 1200 feet. I understand that this problem also affects the printed paper charts as well. I don't know if/when the FAA plans to publish corrections.

With that caveat.... Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"