Old February 23rd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Updating KLN 94 - Parallels Mac OS X

On Feb 11, 12:07*pm, Ross wrote:
Andrew Andersen wrote:
Hi

Has anyone been successful in updating a Honeywell Bendix-King KLN 94
(or 89/B) database via "direct cable connection" from the computer to
the KLN94's serial port using an Intel Apple Mac running Windows under
Parallels? *The Mac doesn't have a serial port so it is necessary to use
a USB serial adapter.

I'm particularly interested in knowing precisely what USB serial adapter
you used and with which build of Parallels.

I have tried with a Keyspan USA-19HS, both using the Windows XP drivers
and via a socket to the OS X port without success. *Honeywell BK list a
Belkin F5U 103 and iConcepts 60446 but neither of these are readily
available here in Australia.

I realise this sounds weird (and maybe too ambitious), but the Honeywell
BK GPS Database Loader is the last remaining problem to be solved before
I ditch my old laptop.

Thanks in advance
Andrew/.
tecsight@bigpondDOTnetDOTau

On a side note, I have a KLN89/B and use a laptop to update the
database. I want to get a new PC and they all come with Vista. I called
BK and the Dataloader is not yet compatible with Vista. Not sure when it
will be.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

When it comes to USB to Serial adapters it's "Buyer Beware". I
purchased a $20 cable that I couldn't get to work using the updater
program on my HP laptop (no serial port) running Win XP. Called
Honeywell and they say that they have a few "supported" cables that
have been tested. They sent me to Radio Shack for a "supported" cable
that cost $35. I couldn't get that one running either. I ended up
getting an old Dell 266mhz laptop from a buddy that has a serial port
and is running Win XP (and nothing else) and it works great. I traded
him a couple him a couple of broken laptops for that one and it's sole
purpose in life now is updating the database on my 89B.

Paul
C172M - 175HP (or thereabouts with the Power Flow exhaust)