Old March 4th 21, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

Default 3 Turn Point Distance

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 7:21:36 PM UTC-5, xcnick wrote:
I would like to claim a 3 point distance flight according to 1.4.2f. A COURSE from a RELEASE POINT or a declared START POINT to any type of FINISH POINT, via one, two, or three declared TURN POINTS, which may be flown in any order.

Although one MAY declare a start or finish, there is a great advantage not to. After making the last turnpoint, one only has to find clear air to make the last leg as long as possible. With a defined finish there will be a thunderstorm in the way, guaranteed.

I can't figure out how to enter the declaration into my clear nav or even seeyou without a start and finish.

What am I missing here?

I got really irritated and wrapped around the axle when they started mandating electronic decs, because of just this issue. The answer I got was that you still make the electronic dec, but also do a paper dec with the finish listed as To Be Decided. Also do not number your turn points on the paper dec before flight if you may want the option to change the order, skip, or repeat. Your observer will witness the post-flight numbering and finish point as flown.