Old September 2nd 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

Default Garmin 496 PIREP -- Navigating while Driving

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:
Again, we were most pleased with the way the unit performed,
and will be using it on all future driving trips, for sure.

It is definitely superior to the 396. I use mine in the car any time I'm
going somewhere I've never been.

As far as I know, the automotive features are identical between the 396
and 496, so I'm not sure what is "superior" about the 496 in this
regard, except that the 496 has the map data preloaded.

I have noticed that while private airports may not appear in the 396
aviation data, they sometimes appear on the auto side (Navteq data),
along with airports that have long ago disappeared.

JKG