Old April 29th 12, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cessna 170 for a towplane?

I currently tow with a C-170B with a 145 Cont and an 80-42 prop. I have the rear seat removed and usually only tow with 1/2 tanks. It's OK, but only OK for unballasted single seaters. Further, I am towing from a long strip near sea level in Alaska where density altitude is not a problem nor are long lines of gliders all anxious to get off as soon as the thermals start popping.

I have not had the courage to tow something like a 2-33. My guess is that it would be marginal at best. The 180 hp with the CS prop would be the way to go. If you want more information, send me an email.

Pete Brown
Anchorage