Old April 30th 12, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Cessna 170 for a towplane?

On Monday, April 30, 2012 9:28:14 AM UTC-5, WB wrote:

Back in my days with the NCSA, we towed with Ray Galloway's stock 172.
We had a 3700 ft paved runway. That 172 was struggling on hot days with
the 2-33.

With the stock cruise prop it was indeed a struggle to haul a 2-33 around. Later, Ray installed a climb prop and the 172 became a much more acceptable towplane - fine for single seat glass and 1-26/23s, OK for Blaniks and 2-33s. On really hot/humid NC summer days it paid to thermal a bit...

Downside was that cruise was limited to about 90 knots! Kinda reduced it's utility as an XC plane...

Kirk
66