Old April 5th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default PSRU design advantages

My friends who flew the P-39, always said they worried about the drive
shaft running between their legs, breaking loose )

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:23:05 GMT, George wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:
ADK wrote:

IF you had to design a PSRU, to drive a pusher propellor via shaft,
what would your experience dictate? Thinking along the lines of a
gearbelt, chain or gear. Please, I would appreciate the collective
experience available on this group. I have decided on the aircraft,
but want to make it the most reliable and safest it can be.

"ADK" wrote in message

This is probably going to open old wounds. What I would like is
experienced input on the advantages, for economic, efficiency and
longevity etc. of different types of redrives.

I am leaning towards a cog-belt reducer in a 6 cylinder, liquid
cooled, configuration driving a long drive shaft to the prop.

The collective experience is zilch = nada = squat = undefined.

THAT is what everybody had been trying to tell you.

Wait a second. Look around the airport.

How many shaft driven propellers do you see?

Have you ever seen?

If you are heart set on doing it, I sincerely wish you luck.

But I can't offer any further advice - 'cuz they ain't none...

Richard

Richard,

Didn't the military do this once?? Seems there was the P-39 Aircobra,
shaft driven from a rear mounted engine?? Are the gray cells working
that far back??

Not that it would be applicable to an experimental, but at least It was
once done?

George