Old May 17th 12, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default PowerFlarm @ Mifflin

We had a bunch of PF bricks flying for the first time yesterday. One
is in my cockpit. Notwithstanding my inability to get around the
course (I had distinguished company today), the device appears to be
working well. I had one collision warning of about 2 seconds duration
(it was warranted), and had flarm targets on screen more often than
not, extreme range about 6 miles.

While thermaling, targets beyond perhaps 3 miles would disappear at 5
o'clock and reappear at 7 like clockwork [groan here] and this likely
reflects attenuation of signal through my thick, water filled head
(see "Inability to complete task", above). Range is certainly more
than adequate for anti-collision information.

I'm using the Butterfly 57mm display, and it's small for the task.
the anti-collision display is good, the text associated with benign
targets is hard to read in rough air. Visibility is adequate.

PCAS seems to work fine as well.

-Evan Ludeman / T8