Old August 16th 03, 02:17 PM
Joan Walsh

Also try http://www.monmouth.com/%7Ejsd/fly/how/htm/how.html

Answers
1. yes
2. bank and AoA are independent
3. depends on whether you fix at level flight or constant angle of
attack

Joan
==
In message , "Sniper@SDU"
writes
Please go to http://airtrafficcontrol.no-ip.org:8080 or
http://private-pilot.no-ip.org:8080 .
There had an answer for aerodynamics. (used for FAA written test)
"Dave Daniels" wrote in message
I have some questions about lift and angle of attack that I hope
somebody can answer. First of all, I should say that I am not a
pilot, nor am I an aeronautical engineer and my understanding of
aerodynamics is superficial at best. Heck, even my maths is pretty
ropey. (It reminds me a bit of someone being asked what skills they
brought to a construction job and they replied "I can cut wood,
but not in a straight line".) Anyway, I have been looking at the
source code of a flight simulator and trying to work out what it
does. I have a number of questions. Firstly, can the lift acting
on an aircraft go negative? Instead of the force pushing the
aircraft up, can it push the aircraft down if say, the angle of
attack is negative? Secondly, does the angle at which an aircraft
is banked affect the angle of attack? Trying to figure it out in
my head, I would say 'no' but the program implies otherwise. What
is the answer here? Thirdly, induced drag: I have read that this
is inversely proportional to the square of the aircraft's
velocity, but I do not see how this follows from the equations I
have seen. It appears to me that the greater the velocity, the
greater the induced drag. I must be missing something fundamental
here. Can anyone explain it?

Dave Daniels

--
Joan Walsh