Old May 4th 21, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aldo Cernezzi

Default Hawk Wind

I'm wondering if the Hawk upgrade will provide the same results when installed in the LX9000 series as when installed in the S10/S100 vario units. I wouldn't want to pay for an upgrade that works less effectively than intended: I'd rather upgrade the V9 vario to an S100.

My LX9000 already has the AHRS option (payed), so I'm wondering if Hawk will have lower price in this case (but I guess not, as the company says AHRS is a required function, but it may remain "hidden" to the pilot if they don't but that option).

A simpler option would be the Anemoi standalone device. It requires a power supply and simple pneumatic connections to the existing tubings. It will only calculate wind vectors (plus free AHRS), while skipping on the inertial vario functions. All based on similar sensor-fusion technology and extended Kalman filter.

When flying in the mountains, instant wind vector display is an absolute advantage. In the flatland, an averaged calculation may be satisfactory. I used to be a big Zander fan (magnetic compass interface, almost completely free from the unsolvable problems created by flux-gate compasses). Now I'm happy to see a new generation of promising devices.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it