Old September 27th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Silicon free polishes?

On Sep 26, 6:56*pm, Bernie wrote:
Hello folks,
it's annual time and we plan to give our LS1-f a bit of a buff and
polish. A product called NuFinish was recommended, however a quick
Google search finds that it contains silicon and I understand that
this is not a good thing should any future repairs be required. Is
this correct, or is silicon getting a bad rap?

Our club has used a Meguiars marine product called M4516 High Gloss
Polish, I am led to believe that this contains no silicon but have yet
to confirm that.
Seehttp://www.meguiars.com.au/productdetail_2006.php?seq=9&category=SPEC...

Can anyone speak with authority on this subject? Any other products
that I should know about? The gel coat is in good condition, it was
machine buffed last year and shows little if any oxidisation to my
untrained eye. I imagine a quick polish followed by a wax would be
sufficient, so the Meguiars marine products are looking good:http://www.meguiars.com.au/product_2...ECIALTY&subcat...
Care&subsubcat=Polish

Thanks, Bernie.

PS: *I'm in Australia where car care products like NuFinish and
Meguiars are readily available, but WxBlock is NOT!

Williams Soaring has turned a lot of us local pilots onto Mequiars
Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax. This wax is extremely easy to buff
off, even smells nice. WxBlock in comparison is a lot more work to get
off. The idea is Mequiars Deep Crystal is so little work to buff of
compared to other waxes you are more likely to apply it regularly.
Prior to Mequiars I was using Griot's Garage Best of Show Carnuba Wax,
it is probably the best looking pure Carnuba wax I know of (I've used
it on my Porsche a lot, but switched to Mequiars for that as well) but
is a lot more work to buff off.

As for silicones, modern paints and additives make this less of a
hassle. While I try to avoid silicone products on my glider finish (PU
on my ASH-26E) it is pretty unavoidable and any refinisher is going to
have to assume the existing finish is contaminated with silicone.
Still I avoid polishes that are blatantly full of silicone.

BTW the canopy cleaners like Plexus, Brillianize, Pledge (or Mr. Sheen
to you folks down under) are loaded with silicone and just spraying
that stuff on the canopy is going to leave silicon droplets all over
the glider. Using a rag you wipe that stuff on a canopy with to wipe
the glider finish is going to leave it all over the glider. It is
insidious stuff. But like I said refinishers have little choice but to
assume it is everywhere and do surface prep accordingly. (If you
really want to **** a refinisher off go spray some of that stuff in
their shop near a job being prepared for spraying).

Darryl