Old March 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

Default Flying from North America to Hawaii

"Anthony W" wrote in message
Al G wrote:

A lat/long calculation showed 1421nm, but it is still a long way. I think
my longest solo/single engine leg was around 2100nm.

I think it would take a massive set of balls to fly a single
piston-engined plane anywhere near that far over water. A life raft
suitable for saving your ass would be around 50 to 80 pounds that would be
needed for fuel.

I wouldn't try it in anything smaller than a Lear jet.

Your mileage may very but I'm partial to saving my ass... ;o)

Tony

When we first looked at this, we were talking about taking the Lear. It
was an old 24B, (pure jets, no fans), and if it could do 1400nm, it would be
with a good tailwind, thinking clean thoughts, and NO reserve. Imagine
losing a cabin outflow valve or pressurization control about halfway. You'd
have to descend to fl240, until you ran out of O2, then 14,000, and then you
wouldn't have the fuel to get to land anywhere. Getting out of the lear
after ditching would not be easier than a light Cessna. As a recent ferry
pilot said: "Sometimes you get wet."

Let us not under-rate saving the Pilot's ass.

Al G