Old August 17th 05, 02:56 PM
Deborah McFarland

I was thinking about putting the brakes on the right side in my"future"
Luscombe, just so the CFI I have checking me out in doesn't get the
"pucker" factor to much! From my understanding of the 337 it's not to
hard of a project to undertake, still looking for the JATO 337 on it
though!

Patrick,

If I ever give one word of sound advice about flying Luscombes, it's this.
Never, ever as long as you live use those brakes during the landing roll.
Luscombe brakes are for ground maneuvering only. If a CFI tells you
different, open the door and ask him to get out. The last person I told this
to flipped his Luscombe on the landing roll. He let it get away from him,
then added brake to correct himself. The airplane immediately flipped. He
was injured, and the beautifully restored bird was totaled. (see
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...15X01817&key=1)

I've landed in 25 knot crosswinds without touching the brakes. Luscombes are
wonderful airplanes to fly. They react exactly as they are directed. Land
straight with the direction of travel and you'll not have any problem. If
that means landing on one wheel, do so. (I've stayed on one wheel nearly to
the tiedown ;-)) But don't think that braking will help. Go around or add a
blast of power. If all else fails, in a Luscombe, it's better to ground loop
if things have progressed too far than to flip.

BTW, there is a jet Luscombe. It's called the Speedbird. See
http://ronkilber.tripod.com/luscombe/luscombe.htm and all 337s can be found
at http://www.luscombeassoc.org/.

Deb
--