Old November 16th 03, 11:13 PM
Sunny

Unfortunately, we will never know how many attempts at engaging choppers
were abandoned.
The helicopter is very vulnerable to shooters hiding among buildings.
What will go a long way, is for the ground troops to get out of their
vehicles, stop returning to their "compounds" each night and start sneaking
among the locals. (get the friendly ones on side and start gathering some
hard intel)
(my solution, from the safety of my chair)

"miso" wrote in message
om...
Does fast and low presume that there is terrain to hide behind? I
suppose the silhouette of a Blackhawk is easier to see against the sky
than the horizon.

I don't presume I'm correct, but whatever we are doing now isn't
working.

"Sunny" wrote in message

"miso" wrote in message
om...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3273895.stm

Previosly, a thread went into the merits of flying low. Maybe that
works for SA-7s, but flying low puts the choppers in the range of the
RPGs.

The news never states the type of RPG, but if it is the RPG-7, the
range is 300 meters.
http://www.g2mil.com/RPG.htm

It's more than that : (fast and low is still the go - don't give the
*******s time to set up)
The maximum range for antitank grenades against area targets is 920

meters,
at which point the round self-destructs after its 4.5 second flight. The
antipersonnel grenades reach over 1100 meters.