Old September 24th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Default Cessna 150 with STOL comments requested

I am a little bit confused as to your postings. In your earlier post
"Almost Taken to the cleaners!" you said "I am returning to aircraft
ownership after 15 years." And in this post you say "I have a stock1973
Cessna 150L with a new 0 -200A engine" WTF? If you already own a
150 with a new engine why would you say that you are returning to
ownership after 15 years? And, why would you be entertaining overpaying
for a runout 150 when you already have one? Please tell me it's not
because the runout one has a STOL kit..

20 degree of flaps is not recommended for either Soft or Shortfield
takeoffs for the 150 but you already know that right? If you are
getting into the air in about half the runway length you should be able
to climb out at Vx at around 65 mph. According to the POH you should be
able to clear a 50' obstacle at 1385 feet. In other words, by the end
of your runway you should in therory be way over the 4 foot fence.

You also said that your stall speed is 66 mph. Are you sure about that?
I thought it was more like 45 mph.

Good luck. It must be cool having a runway at your house.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

wise purchaser wrote:

Greetings!!!

I hope that I am not becomming a bother to the group but I have a
question:

I have my own airstrip. it's a 20 foot wide 1350 foot long crusher
run gravel runway.

I had the runway built using Driveway fiber mat (fabric) ( cow carpet)
laid down on the bare dirt, then Crusher run gravel poured on the
fiber mat, spread out with a dozer, then compacted with an ashphalt
roller then graded with a road grader.

The runway is very hard surface you can drive a car on it and it will
not budge!!! dry or wet no tracks left behind in the gravel.

I have a stock1973 Cessna 150L with a new 0 -200A engine. On warm
days: den alt about 3100 feet with full fuel with myself in the
airplane it gets off the ground at about 700 feet ground run with 10
flaps zero wind. I hold the airplane in ground effect untill the
very end of the runway to clear a 4 feet high Barbed wire fence then
start a SLOW climb. ( by the way, after the barb wire fence is a 2000
foot wide flat pasture that is owned by my neighbor; all I have to do
is get over the fence and I am all right plenty of open space to set
down on!!)

I have noticed that with 20 flaps will get the plane into the air
with a much shorter ground run but the work load is very high you have
to start to work off the flaps as soon as you break ground: As the
speed comes up so do the flaps in little increments till I hit 10
flaps.

It seems that what ever the flap setting I use the Airspeed over the
barb wire fence is ALWAYS no higher than 60 mph! just 6 MPH over the
stall speed. I can get off in 500 feet with 20 flaps stay in ground
effect longer milking up the flaps, but still arrive at the end with
60 MPH???

Is this normal or should the airplane be faster? should I see if she
will climb or is it better to stay in ground effect till I clear the
fence? I clear the fence in ground effect at 15 feet of altitude
give or take a few feet.

Question: if I add a STOL kit to my stock 150 will it help in this
situation?? I am unsure if the airplane will be able to takeoff,
clear the fence with two people: my daughter and myself.

This may sound kooky but I am thinking of full fuel, myself and one 80
pound bag of concrete in the co pilots seat do a take off if it works,
then place another bag on the seat (160 pounds total) than do it again
( with FULL respect to den alt and wind) .

I am looking for a 150 with 150 HP engine with a STOL kit installed.
see prior post for details this is why I want a 150/150 with STOL.

Comments thanks!!!!!