Old September 24th 03, 02:31 PM
Brian Case

I pretty much agree with BT. The only reason landing with the rope
might be faster than the winch is in the situation where the towplane
can land or taxi up from behind the glider. I have seen this senerio
used quite a bit. The Ground crew just carrys a hay hook and grabs the
rope with it and starts pulling the rope over to the glider while the
tow plane continues moving ahead. The tow plane does not stop until it
is nearly all of the slack is out. The Crew then hooks up the glider
and the tow plane moves forward a few feet to take up the slack. If
the glider is ready the tow will commence as soon as the slack is out.

This is faster only because the towplane does not have to stop for the
crew to retrieve the glider end of the rope.

Brian

Markus Feyerabend wrote in message ...
Hi Brian,I fly a Husky with a winch in it (no tost, but similar).I use the same procedure as you described it, except
that I canīt see the winch, but we painted the last
meter (approx. one yard) red/white, which I see in
the mirror and we do have marks on the runway, which
give me a rough indication how much rope is still on
the winch.However, I still have one question. Why do you think
that towing with a winch is not as fast as towing/landing
without a winch and with the rope attached?I donīt see a difference, as you have to take out the
slack/pull out the rope in both cases!?Regards,Markus