Old August 31st 04, 11:26 AM
André Somers

Paul Remde wrote:

I'm taking on the tough task of creating a comparison table for soaring
flight software. Of course I can't mention every single features found in
every product, so I'm trying to hit the unique features found in each
product.

You can view the very preliminary table he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/software-ppc.htm

Copying the list from Janos, what about Cumulus?

Price: free, open source
Reachable airports are highlighted on the moving map: yes
Final Glide Around Multiple Waypoints: not yet
Calculates wind speed and direction while circling: yes
Wind speed and direction at several altitudes: yes
Large Fonts (5 is best, 1 is worst): configurable in upcomming version
Differential Final Glide: ?
Turnpoint Area Task Support: ?
Special Use Airspace displayed on moving map: yes
Topographical Maps roads, lakes, etc.: yes
US Sectional Aeronautical Charts: no
In-flight optimization of OLC flights: no
FAI 28% Rule Turnpoint areas displayed in flight: no
Thermal Histogram: no
Tracks statistics for multiple tasks at once: no
Climb Maximizer: no

Supported Flight computers, loggers:

Every one that outputs NMEA.

Some more features not mentioned in the table: estimated time of arrival,
elapsed time, speed to flt, terrain elevation, speech interface (in
upcomming version)

Note: Cumulus runs only on PDA's running linux with Qtopia or OPIE. Sharp
Zaurus series PDA's have this by default, and it can be installed on a lot
of other windowsCE/PocketPC PDA's.

Note: Cumulus has nothing to do with Cumulus Soaring, inc.

Some screenshots can be found on our page:
http://cumulus.kflog.org

Regards,

André
Cumulus project leader