Old May 4th 05, 03:40 AM
KayInPA

John Galban wrote:
You didn't say that all of the rules existed for a "good" reason :-))

Too true. There are a number of rules at my club that are, to use a
polite word, asinine.

4 hrs for a 172 checkout is nothing more the blantant milking.

It seems excessive for a known competent pilot.

Sure, flying with an instructor may not be a bad idea, but the fact
that they're forcing a long checkout, plus the fact that they won't
let him fly in the 152 that he's currently checked out in,
raises a whole bunch of red flags.

But according to the club rules, he's not currently checked out.

I agree with you. If the rules are upsetting to the OP, he should
leave the club. My guess is that his road to flying happiness will be
better found with alternate arrangements than with fighting a club's
city hall.

That said, for me personally, I didn't find the checkout rules at my
club to be restrictive. I was a brand new pilot when I joined, and
eager to learn from as many people as possible. Still am. The club
aircraft is really nice, usually available, and exceedingly
cost-effective. In exchange, I'm willing to go by club rules and in
some cases (such as with instruction), make them into positives.

I recognize that's not possible in all cases.

Kay