Old March 12th 04, 11:20 PM
Eric Greenwell

Andreas Maurer wrote:
On 12 Mar 2004 12:05:42 -0800, (Mark James Boyd)
wrote:

Where's the stall warning horn? I'm still utterly baffled why there
isn't a stall warning device on each wingtip? Is this really that
much extra drag? Is it more drag than that caused by having
to make a wing design that buffets before a full stall?

There are gliders that are equipped with stall audio warnings. Most of
these stall warnings have been switched off permanently because they
were yelling all the time while thermalling.

THe difficulty is getting a true stall warning, rather than an airpeed
alert (even if it is adjusted to G loading). Other difficulties with the
type Andreas mentions is it doesn't know when the spoilers are out, the
flap position, or the bugs on the leading edge.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA