Old November 24th 19, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Cobra Trailer Fenders

On Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 10:55:45 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Had a similar experience with the last ship I bought. Trailer tires looked great, almost new I thought! Found out later they were the original tires on the Cobra, some 15 years ago! I got about 300 miles on those tires when the right one threw a 12” hunk of tread with one end still attached..............bam, bam, bam, it sounded like a helicopter! Removed the fender as though it was never there! The ship had seldom left the gliderport and tire pressure was down when I got the bird. I figured that 15 long cold winters with tires partially deflated, had weakened the flat spot area. Always seems to happen when a ship is sold and the trailer sees the road for the first time in many years. Tire guy told me those were 2 ply auto tires, he recommended 6 ply trailer tires............no more tire problems!
Cheers,
JJ

When I bought my 8 year old ASH26e the first stop I made was at a tire store. No way I was going to use 8 year old tires while trailering across the empty expanses of Nevada. I also had to fix the butchered trailer wiring in a motel parking lot. Fortunately, I came prepared.

Tires deteriorate from the inside out from the compressed air (oxygen is an oxidizer). Much better results if you use nitrogen, but not many tire shops have it.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-aging

Tom