Old March 25th 15, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Sarah wrote:
Timely thread, gearing up for northern hemisphere spring.

I've towed with a Honda Accord ( V6 manual ). It's relatively heavy at
3400 lb, plenty of power and tows my old Komet ( around 2000 lb ) stably
up to 70 mph. I've only been nervous once - coming down I70 into Denver
with a steep downgrade. Slowed way down and it was OK.

The trailer surge brake has been inop for years -Any one have suggestions
on where I could take it for overhaul or replacement with electric
brakes? Local garage? Or, is even necessary? I really should check for
trailer tongue corrosion and double check the hitch mount points.

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:04:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi All,

..
What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

YES you want working surge brakes. I have a good working setup on my tube
trailer for my Libelle. I tow with a Mazda protege5 wagon (4 cylinder
manual), and having the surge brakes makes a real difference. Stability is
good. Had it up to 80 once while not paying attention.

You can tow with a small car just have a good trailer with brakes. The
German tow ratings usually are cut in half for trailers without brakes.

Peter