Old March 25th 15, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

The CVT is an awesome transmission for towing. My Nissan Murano has a CVT, great stability and very short rear axle to hitch distance. The CVT smooths out the power delivery to the wheels. There is no jerking going up hills like when the automatic transmissions downshift. Just a slow and steady increase in RPM. A great towing vehicle.

Unfortunately, for the new 2015 model, Nissan has reduced the rated towing capacity to 1500 lb. I guess I won't be buying another one.

Anyone at Nissan listening? I won't be buying another one unless you fix that!

My wife has a Subaru XV and it is rated for 1500 lb and we found that an ASW-27 in a Cobra trailer was getting to the limit for the XV. Probably fine for short retrieves on back roads at 40-50 mph, but not out on the highway at 60-70.