Old April 6th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Iran's torpedo

----------
In article , "John C"
wrote:

Can Iran potentially put a nuclear weapon on the tip of that torpedo and
take out one of our carriers?

Not in the next several decades.

First generation weapons are always very big. It took the US over a decade
to reduce the size of its nukes, and that was with huge resources and
knowledge. Iran is, by many estimates, at least 5-10 years away from
producing its first bomb.

In fact, I recently read something (and I'm trying to figure out where) that
asked a really good question--why has it taken the Iranians so _long_ to
build a bomb? They've been at it for decades. I seem to remember that the
speculation was that they've simply done a very poor job of it.