Old September 27th 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Landing on the Hudson is cool. Check this out

Here's the Cliff Notes version of the report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUQeaa1bhY

They could have had a working fuel gauge if a technician hadn't restored
a circuit breaker as part of a trouble-shooting exercise.

So yes it was not airworthy, but it wasn't as simple as the captain
saying "Screw the MEL, we're going anyway".

On 9/27/20 11:47 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yes, now I recall having read that.

On 9/27/2020 10:33 AM, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 8:28:45 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 9/26/20 5:32 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 21:48:33 -0700, Doug Levy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkCofOyxUA
Colour me mystified: what of earth has the Hudson to do with the Gimli
Glider?

The Hudson was Sullenberger's show. BTW, I seem to remember that at the
time he was said to have no glider experience, but that's wrong:
apparently he did have a glider rating at the time and (later?)
became a
CFIG, so about the only connection is that the P1 for both the Gimli
and
Hudson incidents were glider pilots.

Pardon me playing Captain Obvious, but the both involve landing
airliners with no power and no loss of life.Â* But none of this is
exactly breaking news.

One thing that was interesting from the Gimli incident that wasn't
covered in that clip, the 767 had in-op fuel gauges and was allowed to
make the flight.Â* Not the primary cause of the accident, but would have
provided much earlier notification of a problem than having an engine
flame out.

-Dave

That is covered extensively in the accident report. The pilots
violated the Minimum Equipment List, making it an illegal flight. The
incident would never have occurred if their fuel computer was working,
or if they used the correct specific gravity for fuel (they used the
value for lb/l instead of kg/l, resulting in the loading of less than
half the fuel required).

Tom