Old August 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
John R. Copeland

"Chip Jones" wrote in message =
k.net...
I'm hoping one or more of you instrument pilots (or controllers) could =

help
me with an IAP question. The airport involved is RKW, which is =

Rockwood,
Tennessee. The IAP in question is the VOR/DME RWY 22 into Rockwood. =

If you
have the plate or know the procedure, I hope you can help me out.
=20
RKW airport lies about 2 miles west of the common Atlanta (ZTL)
ARTCC/Knoxville (TYS) Tracon boundary. Center owns the airport, but =

because
of the close proximity to TYS airspace, Center has to coordinate with =

Tracon
for clearances in and out of RKW unless the aircraft is arriving from =

the
east. TYS coordinates with Center for RKW arrivals from the east, and =

TYS
issues the approach clearance, as most of the IAP lies within TYS =

airspace.
=20
Here's the situation. I'm instructing a newbie on the radar. We're =

working
combined sectors and we're busy working the main bang out of Atlanta =

on
our other freq. We have a RKW arrival from the east, an Army UH60/G. =

Route
of flight is Asheville NC direct RKW, a 30 minute delay at RKW, and =

then on
to Fort Campbell KY. The aircraft whopping along at 6,000 and "PLA =

RKW" is
in remarks on his flightplan. There is a large thunderstorm sweeping =

south
over the Knoxville airport and the TYS controllers are busy holding =

their
own arrivals for the storm to pass. To ease their workload, TYS calls =

my
trainee and begs him to work the approach into RKW. The trainee =

agrees
(good training experience). Good experience for me too, as I don't =

get to
work east arrivals into this airport very often.
=20
The aircraft checks on at 6000 with a request. We issue the CSV =

altimeter
and take the request. The request is "Center, Army 569 would like to =

shoot
the full VOR/DME 22 into Rockwood, followed by a missed approach and a =

ten
minute hold at MINES and then on to Campbell." My guy and I do a =

quick
huddle as we dig out the chart.
=20
Normally I would have keyed the mic and asked the pilot what he was =

going
to do when he asked for the "full" approach, but I sit behind my =

trainee
when he works the radio. I can over-ride him, but he's a Yank from
Pennsylvania and I'm from the Low Country of SC. Our accents are as
different as night and day, and the last thing I wanted to do was let =

all of
the Delta pilots on our other freq know they were dealing with a =

trainee.
Like dogs, they work in packs, smell fear and love to shred new meat. =

I try
to stay off the radio when I train.
=20
The MIA for the area is 5000. The trainee clears the aircraft to =

"Descend
and Maintain 5000, cleared direct MINES, I have your request for the
approach". This is followed a minute later with:
=20
"Army 569, twelve miles northeast of Rockwood, cross MINES at 5000 =

inbound,
cleared VOR/DME Runway 22 approach Rockwood, report established on the
approach."
=20
Look at the plate. The aircraft is approaching MINES on about a 270
heading. He's maybe ten miles due east from MINES when he checks on =

with
his request for the approach and we clear him -MINES. I am expecting =

the
aircraft to proceed to MINES at 5000, turn left to intercept the HCH =

060R
inbound, and fly down the approach on a 240 track towards the airport, =

doing
a drive and dive. In the event, the aircraft proceeds to MINES, turns =

left
all the way around to a 060 heading, and flies one turn in the =

published
holding pattern at MINES. Somewhere in the trip around the pattern, =

he
calls established on the approach. We put him on the CTAF, he does =

his
thing, later misses as planned and life goes on.
=20
My question concerns the course reversal at MINES. If you were flying =

this
approach from due east of MINES, "cleared approach", what do you do at =

MINES
to get on the approach course?
=20
Thanks,
=20
Chip, ZTL
=20

Chip, I set up that scenario in my CNX80 simulator, to see what IT would =
do.
Indeed, the simulator wants to go once around the holding pattern at =
MINES,
unless I select "Vector to Final", in which case it foregoes the hold.

The same is true even if I set up inbound to MINES on a 240 track.

Since the UH60 pilot asked for the "full" approach, not vectors, I'd =
assume
either that his GPS unit wanted to behave the same as the CNX80,
or else he just needed to log some holding-proficiency time. Maybe =
both.
---JRC---