Old April 9th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default advice for kit

On Apr 9, 2:11*pm, wrote:
Hello,

*I was hoping to get some thoughts/opinions on purchasing a complete
Glasair III kit that has been sitting untouched in it's original crate
for 10 years. Never been opened or inventoried.

Is this a bad idea? I'm worried about things like delicate composite
parts which through the years may have shifted and lost their shape,
that sort of thing.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Our commune built one... about 5000 hours labor invested. N1ML.
A major project in anyone's estimation.

The early serial numbers did not have gear downlocks and are difficult
to insure without them. ~sn 3000 as I remember?

The thing flew like rocket. 220kts on 13-14gph. And landed very
fast... I'd think one would
want the wing extensions to lower the landing speed. A forced landing
would be problematical at the really high speeds. Ours didn't have
them;
over the fence was 95kts; if one got below 75kts, it was not possible
accelerate without giving up altitude, even with that 300hp engine.
This
took it out of the novice class flying airplane in my opinion. It did
have
nice stall characteristics.

The later ones had some sort of screen embedded to make them
conductive;
that would be a plus.

Donno what factory support is like these days.

Bill Hale