Old April 9th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default advice for kit

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:11:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hello,

I was hoping to get some thoughts/opinions on purchasing a complete
Glasair III kit that has been sitting untouched in it's original crate
for 10 years. Never been opened or inventoried.

Is this a bad idea? I'm worried about things like delicate composite
parts which through the years may have shifted and lost their shape,
that sort of thing.

They were generally well-packed, I wouldn't expect any problems that
way.

Normally the bonds you'd be making would be to uncured surfaces. But
after so long those surface will be fully cured, so some extra prep
will be needed. Not a big deal IMO although some might disagree.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

It was common for those kits to be shipped somewhat incomplete, with
backordered parts trickling in as long as a year later. Make sure to
do a very careful inventory. The kit price normally included the
resin, which was shipped when needed. There's a slight chance that the
company may still owe it to the registered kit owner, but since there
was a bankruptcy and new owners a while back, most likely you'll have
to pay for the chemicals a second time. You should sign up at
http://glasair.org and discuss your situation with the members there.
I can imagine lots of little details that would be good to know
*before* settling on a price with the seller.

Don't forget to get the original invoice from the factory, I think
you'd probably need it come registration time.

Wayne