Old October 27th 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Blanik L-13 shall rise again! (?)

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 11:43:08 AM UTC-7, JJJ wrote:
Oct. 26, 2016. One of the members of my club just sent this notice
around, along with this link: http://www.blanik.aero/customer-support
That's all I know.
5.10.2016

Dear owners and supporters of L-13 Blanik gliders.

We are proud we can announce to the soaring community that the FAA has
released Federal Aviation Administration approval of the Blanik Limited
Airworthiness Restoration of the Blanik Limited model L-13 glider – FAA
Project Number AT00794CE-G.

Now we are closely working with the FAA to submit and approve an AMOC
(Alternative Method of Compliance) which will precisely specify how to
maintain the fleet of grounded L-13s in the U.S. based on their
technical condition.

We believe that we are close to the solution which will get the L-13
fleet flying again. We are also looking for qualified maintenance shops
which are interested in performing the required modification.

Our goal is to bring the L-13s back to the sky before next season.

Sincerely

Vaclav Krizek
Chief Executive Officer

JJJ

It looks similar to the AD&C procedure which is already approved just about everywhere except the U.S. but they specify a 6,000 hour airframe life limit (same as an L-23) instead of the AD&C 5,000 hour one. Work would probably take about $15K - a rough estimate I got for the AD&C procedure - and the airframe limit seems to be total time from new so it's probably not worth it for L-13's already over 2,000 or 3,000 hours. I'll be interested in seeing where it goes as I would like to have an L-13 in the air again for sentimental reasons. I made a failed attempt to track down a very low time one I had heard about in the U.S. because the AD&C mod is already approved here in Canada. Never found it though.