Old September 27th 18, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

At 19:01 27 September 2018, wrote:
I agree that this appears to be an elevator failure. What pieces of

the
wr=
eckage were retrieved? Was the horizontal stabilizer/elevator

retrieved?
=
Was the elevator bolt located (ripped out of the elevator, found in

a side
=
pocket, found in the trailer, etc). I have the ability to fly my

Phoenix
l=
ow level over the site on a suitable light east wind day and do a

close
sea=
rch for the horizontal stab if it is missing. Finding the stab may be

the
=
key to solving this tragedy.

\
I once saw a glider loose its horizontal stabiliser (hit just below at
the top of the T tail).
The glider bunted ,ie negative nose down ,that would throw you
out.
to do inside loops the stick would have to be hard back but I didn't
think the duo had sufficient elevator authority to loop in 3 seconds.

If the front drag pin failed and changed the angle of attack of the
main wing it might, but why would it.
Saddend and baffled .