Old September 28th 18, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Betker

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

I've got a question - let's assume that the speculation going on here is right and that the elevator control was locked in a full nose-high station - what is the optimal thing to do if you are ever faced with this? Am I right in assuming that it is to bail as quickly as possible before you start building G-loads which would make bailing impossible? If you somehow got yourself into a scenario where you were endlessly looping the glider, would deploying full airbrakes bleed enough energy to stop the looping (and maybe induce a spin instead)?

This is certainly a nightmare scenario. My condolences go out to the friends and family of the departed.