Old February 15th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

Default Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR

In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:
gatt writes:

That's how I viewed the question. The airspace/limits don't specifically
refer to VFR cruise, although cruising under VFR would still make you
subject to broader airspace and operating limits.

So are there general limits for climb and descent rates that apply to VFR?

Hasn't this question already been answered? Why are you asking it again?

I know there are constraints for climbs and descents directed by ATC, but for
climbs and descents initiated by the pilot on his own (which would usually
apply only to VFR, although there are some IFR examples, too), I can't find a
specific maximum or (especially) minimum.

Gliders have wildly varying rates of climb and descent, it's extremely
common to maintain 1-200fpm down for very long periods of time, and it's
not too uncommon to maintain very slow ascents for long periods of time
either. This is, of course, perfectly legal, and I'm not aware of any
regulation which only makes this sort of thing legal for the propulsively
challenged.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software