Old August 23rd 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Power Flarm Problems

Thanks for the suggestions. The PF was definitely updated this spring but
not the Butterfly. I'll check all the system updates this evening and see
what happens.
Charlie, C

I do the club FLARMs - 5 so far, and my own. I had one setup that wouldn't work until I updated the associated Butterfly twice (second time with correct flarmnet file). Even if you don't like flarmnet, once one is in your Butterfly, you have to keep it current to the newest specification (FLARM and Butterfly talk when a new version comes out. 2017 will be a big FLARM update year). I've had difficulty with flarmnet files if I download them with my Macbook, and now just use the club PC.

If you select notrack in your flarmcfg.txt file, you won't be tracked by OGN receivers. From the latest flarm spec:

3.1.8 NOTRACK
Instructs third party receiving stations that (regardless of stealth mode setting) the received ID and position data must neither be stored nor made accessible in any time dimension (real-time, delayed, or archived) for any purpose. It is recommended NOT to enable this option! If enabled, it will impair logging service functionality and make Search and Rescue (SAR) impossible.
1 is notrack...

To find the specification, google FTD-14-FLARM-Configuration-Specification-1.02 .

Updating the flarm is a lot better since version 6; you just put the flarm firmware, the butterfly firmware, and the new flarmnet file at the highest level of a USB (CORE) or SD card (Portable). Turn on the flarm, and it updates each in the correct order, and leaves a file saying what it has done. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier. Once you've updated, move the firmware files to a folder on the drive, and the flarm won't see them there (but they are there if you ever need them).