Old March 24th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

On 3/24/2013 7:03 AM, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:13:28 PM UTC-4, Tim Weston wrote:
Does anyone have any inside info on the pros / cons of buying a 1-35. I
am interested in learning cross country. I am mostly looking to hear from
any current or former 1-35 owners.

Thanks,

Tim W

The thing that's sort of jumbled around in this discussion but deserves to
be explicitly stated: the transition to flaps only does need to be
addressed head on, and results that come out are largely dependent upon the
quality of the inputs, including you, your instructor, your pre-transition
study, the glider, the airport environment. the hardest thing to find for
most guys is a CFIG with a hundred full flap landings. Lacking a flap
qualified CFIG, things get rather more luck dependent than we like to see
in aviation. Often the whole thing goes great, sometimes it goes very
badly (1st flight, PIK 20B. This gentleman over shot whole airport, pulled
up, tried to make a 180, spun, saved by trees).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2TM2VOmaw

Gives a whole new meaning to "see and avoid", doesn't it?

The normal expectation (with "good inputs") is passable airport landings
immediately, precision landings with some practice, expert low energy
landings with a lot of practice.

Evan Ludeman / T8

"What Evan said."
- - - - - -

At the risk of thread drift...regarding "expert low energy landings with a lot
of practice" my experience has been that "expert low energylandings" came a
lot more easily the"flap draggier" the glider.

HP-14: "expert low energy landings with [a lot of] practice" might accurately
be written, "expert low energy landings with [some more] practice."

Zuni: "What Evan wrote."

Nuance, sure. I take it as more evidence, "You can't have too much disposable
drag" when it comes to ease and safety of landing a glider. Straw poll
question: What's more likely to result in a crunch - full spoiler practice or
no spoiler practice? Why?

Bob W.