Old August 10th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default samll plane noise

On 10 Aug 2006 13:28:39 -0700, "daffy"
wrote in .com:

The Bay Area is plagued by small plane noise.

Here's the answer you got to the same question last January:

From: Don Tuite
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Planes drone out MLK celebration
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:51:33 GMT

On 17 Jan 2006 10:18:20 -0800, "daffy"
wrote:

First, the city we are talking about is Newark, not Norwalk.

Second, the small plane (GA) traffic is NON-STOP, where
a new plane passes overhead every 60 seconds or so
everyday, so this plane noise was not done delibertly
during the ML King celebration.

It was hard to hear the speaker while planes flew above
the event.

Yes, the noise lasts only 20 seconds, and if only a few planes
per hour were out, it wouldn't be an issue, but the airspace
above Newark is a pilots fancy.

This complaint makes sense. Planes heading for San Carlos, Palo
Alto, Reid Hillview, Hayward, and to some extent, Oakland tend to
exit the Livermore valley via the Sunol gap. The gravel ponds at
Niles are sort of a waypoint, and Lake Elizabeth marks a step
transition in the base of the San Francisco class B, so it's
another airplane magnet. Going west or north, the reporting point
for San Carlos is the Coyote Hills, which is a little north of the
Dumbarton Bridge tollboth. Inbound Palo Alto pilots report the
Nummi plant or the salt pile, a little to the south. I'm not sure
where the Hayward reporting point is from the south, but it's got
to be right around there. A little further south and you're in San
Jose's airspace. That actually protects Milpitas because flying
east of 680 puts you out of San Jose airspace.

The result is that Newark and Fremont take it in the shorts.

I don't have a solution, but the poster is by no means talking
through his hat.

Well, I do know one thing that makes logistical sense. Move Palo
Alto GA and San Jose freight to Moffet.

Don