Old May 18th 05, 07:24 PM
tom418

To drum up business for A&Ps, via A.D. 78-09-07
"Guillermo" wrote in message
I was wondering what is exactly the function of the impulse-coupled

magneto.
I've read about them a little bit on the web, but I'd like somebody to
explain it in simple terms.

thanks

guillermo

"Tauno Voipio" wrote in message
Greg Farris wrote:

In article ,

says...

Assuming just one magneto with an impulse coupling, the other magneto

is
shorted and the starter is engaged (by electrical relay,

generally...I'm
not
aware of any airplane starter that runs the current straight through

the
mag
switch).

Note also that this is true only of systems that use an impulse

coupling
for
starting.

Of course, you could have just posted that information, rather than

turning
into a pop-quiz.

Pete

What's the logic of grounding the non impulse-coupled mag during

starting?
(Not a "pop quiz" - I'd like to know).

G Faris

The non-impulse magneto will fire earlier, if at all, and it may
back-fire the engine, as the cranking speed is slow.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi