Old August 23rd 04, 06:16 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default Possibly the stupidest idea ever...

One of the guys who founded our flying club 40+ years ago is still a
member. He's got a lot of experience, but quite frankly some things I've
heard about him scare the hell out of me. But nothing quite as bad as
this: He's proposing that the club does a "Missing Man Formation" over
Bill Law's memorial service next weekend.

Let me get this straight, you're going to get four guys who've never flown
formation with each other before, put them in four dissimilar aircraft
(try and find a speed where both the Lance and the Warrior are happy), and
fly a maneuver in close formation with only a week to practice?

What a great way to remember Bill Law - by having a fatal 4 plane mid-air
collision over his memorial service! Oh well, at least the club would get
some new planes out of it. Too bad we'd never get insurance again, and the
club officers would be put in jail for not stopping this lunatic. Oh wait,
I'm a club officer!

I wonder if we've got time to pass a bylaw expelling anybody who tries
close formation work in club planes?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." -