Old July 5th 12, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Default PowerFLARM antenna mounts

The original post describes how the antenna assembly is attached to the glare shield with velcro. Presumably from underneath with just enough velcro to get the job done, but not impede the jettison process. Knowing the quality of fabrication that Rex and the team does at Williams, I suspect this will be a nice solution for those of us with Schleichers. I'll be ordering one.

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:40:47 AM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
On Jul 4, 10:50*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

Rex is looking into making glare-shield antenna mounts
for the PowerFLARM dipole antenna, especially for
gliders with glare-shields that jettison with the
canopy (Schleicher, LS).

If the proposed alternative glare screen antenna mount comes to
fruition, doesn't the coax between the unit and the antenna cause an
impediment to the jettisoning of the canopy? Or is there a breakaway
connection of some sort?

You'll cut a ~ 3-4" round hole in the glare-shield,
afix the velcro, then stick on the antenna so it
is vertical in flight attitude (with coax at
about 45 degrees away from the antenna).

Out of curiosity, why such a large 3-4" hole? Is that so both
antennas can stick through a single hole? Could you not drill two
smaller holes at the correct spacing? Or do the pictures of the
PowerFlarm I find at your site (which shows two small diameter
antennas) differ from reality and we are now only have one antenna?
Just don't want someone to needlessly emasculate their glare screen!

Thanks, John