Old July 6th 12, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PowerFLARM antenna mounts

The human eye focuses at "infinity" from a around three meters on out. I don't think I can get a PowerFlarm antenna that far away from me unless I'm looking at it from the back of a tandem two seater. I mounted a mock up of the portable and its antennas on the glare shield of my ASW-15 and found it very distracting and obstructive (my compass is in the panel and my yaw string is only an inch and a half long and is mounted far forward on the canopy so only the string itself is visible when seated in the glider).

A friend of mine has been trying to purchase a portable for over a month but the dealer told him he wasn't shipping them because he was waiting for a(nother) fix from the manufacturer before selling any. He hasn't been able to get any updates on the situation since the initial contact.

I'm waiting until the brick is out and has gone through several revisions. I don't like the idea of being a retail customer and performing the duties of a beta tester. Whenever I get the brick I'm going to have to either ditch my mechanical vario so I can install the 57mm display or get a new electric vario/computer which can show the Flarm data on its primary display because there's no room left on the panel.

One question I have is if the range is seriously decreased by mounting the antenna at an angle, does banking the glider also result in reduced range?