Old April 24th 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default 1-26 Price

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 10:19:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 12:07:47 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 7:03:35 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:06:11 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
prices seem to be going through the roof!

Really???? in 2000 I bought my first glider, a 1-26B with an enclosed trailer
for $7000. It was flyable as you say, but tired. Stripped it down to the tubing and did a restoration and instrument upgrade after a few years.. Finally sold it after about 15 years for 12,000.

Price on a 1-26 is just like price on any glass ship, if the gel coat is blown up, or blowing up on a glass ship you can get it cheaper (more expensive in the long run).

Sill a great first ship that can teach you many things, and still fun to race in one class competition.

Kevin
92
formerly 192

A couple years ago when I first started trolling W&W adds looking for a potential ship, a decent flyable 1-26 was running in the $4k to $6k range. The ones offered now are twice that. I find it hard to believe that the quality of the current offerings are that much better than formerly, but I could be wrong. I realize you can spend a lot of money on new instruments--over $5k just on a basic set, so maybe this is what I'm seeing here? I also realize that restoring these ships is not cheap, and maybe the price of the current offerings is reflecting this as well.

There hasn't been a "decent,flyable" 1-26 in the range you are talking about in many years. Any ship in that range is almost certainly an early ship not far from needing fabric and paint.
Best value on Wings and Wheels right now is a 1-34R for 10k. A good value there.
UH

I did my very first self-taught xc flights in a 1-34 out of Hemet. Thought it was a great bird for a beginning xc pilot! Of course the ultimate beginning XC ship is a two place bird so you can fly with someone more experienced.