Old June 17th 04, 04:13 PM
K.P. Termaat

You are absolutely right Todd and the way of thinking of CV is o.k. too. There is nothing wrong with visiting a first waypoint of a flight a second time after hundreds of kilometers and many hours later, especially in a flat country like NL.

But abolishing the "10 km / only once" rule completely would allow pilots to declare just two turnpoints in the 1.4.5.b flight definition and fly back and forth between them for ever to obtain a large distance suitable to be awarded with the 1000 km FAI badge. This is not right of course.
So there must be a rule to prevent that, but of course without the underlying trap for an excellent performance with three visits to predeclared turnpoints during the whole of the flight. I still have some problems looks like in defining a sharp statement for that. Let's put my current best shot into perspective by writing down the complete "amended" FAI rule as I see it now.

1.4.5. Distance performance for badges only
b. Distance using up to three turnpoints:
A flight from a startpoint via up to three declared turnpoints to a finishpoint . If the finishpoint is the landing place it need not be declared. In any sequence not more then up to three visits to declared turnpoints may be claimed.

This is it. Cannot find anything wrong. Please shoot at it.

Karel, NL

"Todd Pattist" schreef in bericht ...
"K.P. Termaat" wrote:

I think it's better to have no figures at all to prevent "yoyo-ing" but a
clear short statement without underlying traps.
May be my suggestion fulfils this.

I'd be in favor of just abolishing the 10 km rule. We
already have a 3 TP max rule. Who cares if they come back
to the same point and use a TP twice? To me, the only
benefit of a "yo-yo" is if you get to use more than 3 TP's.
As far as I can tell, the main effect of this rule is that
it makes pilots flying badges on linear lift systems (ridges
and waves) put one TP at each the end of the line, and one
about 10 km from the end. I suppose that's slightly harder
than flying the whole line of lift end to end, but not much.

The rule is pretty well known for pilots flying near
established ridge or wave systems, but otherwise acts as a
trap, as in this case.
Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)