Thread: Hard Deck
View Single Post
Old January 31st 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Hard Deck

that's how you learn man! nothing like going and flying the same task as sarah arnold, and she beats you by 5MPH raw speed in her ASW15 while you flew a discus CS. makes you feel like the biggest idiot in the world!

an old saying comes to mind: "if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room." basically i disagree with skill or experience based contest classes outside of the current separation (regionals vs. nationals). i feel like it will inhibit personal growth as pilots. i know that i became a better pilot by flying against pilots who were better than i am. matter of fact, i'm still doing it. safely completing a regional's gives you all the tools you need to fly safely in a nationals. and all of us a responsible to sit out a mission we aren't comfortable with, or that we feel is outside of our capacity to handle. i see it all the time. people sat out certain ridge tasks at the sports class nationals this past year. in my first contest, i didn't attempt one of the tasks, because i thought the cloud was too low for me to be comfortable.

I basically agree with everything you've said (and have been beaten, repeatedly, by Sarah in that 15), the question is is there a pool of pilots out there who are not competing, but would if there were skill-based classes. I doubt it, but might be worth exploring if we haven't already.