Old October 28th 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 4:04:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Calling a MAT is the easy way out for some inexperienced CD’s, perhaps some recommendations/rules could be imposed. Outlaw calling a no turn MAT, first turn should be a minimum of say 15s/m. At least this would get everybody started in the same direction! I have flown a first turn that was only 6 miles out which was meaningless! Perhaps a limit on the number of 1 turn MAT’s that can be called in a contest. No restriction on MAT’s with 2 or more turns. The MAT was designed to call numerous turn-points, but I can’t remember flying but one of these!
Just some recommendation,
JJ

I've called and flown lots of MAT's. I've never called a no turn. Most have been more than one, usually 2 or 3.
The MAT was created to provide a task that challenges the experts, yet lets the slow pilots/gliders come home with speed points.
Ideally, the more sure the task caller is of the weather, the more turns and longer the assigned portion of the task can be. This keeps everybody on the same course in the same weather.
Calling a no turn is a matter of desperation, only to be used to get a day at the end of a contest that might otherwise not have enough days, in my opinion.
FWIW
UH