Old January 24th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Compass Correction Card

On Jan 24, 7:42*am, jcarlyle wrote:

2) Under the "Additionally for Cloud Flying" paragraph of the LS8 MEL
a turn and bank indicator is listed. Does AC 91-67 imply that I can
placard a T&B "inoperative" in 1/8" high letters and go look at the
interior of clouds (disregarding for the moment that it isn't legal to
fly a glider in clouds in the US)?

-John

Actually, if the glider is properly equipped, and the pilot is
qualified, it is totally legal to fly in clouds in the US - you just
have to have an IFR clearance if it's in controlled airspace. Not
common, but I know of at least one Nimbus 3 driver who does it down in
Florida.

Theoretically, there are some bits of uncontrolled airspace in the
West where you could fly IMC (equipped and qualified, of course)
without a clearance - but they are pretty hard to find!

This has been discussed previously on RAS, I believe.

Meanwhile, I have a nice pretty compass card in my cockpit, just for
grins (I actually swung the compass one non-soarable day). Don't use
it, though...

Kirk
66