Old June 30th 05, 01:08 PM
JAX

Unfortunately moving it to a dry climate is not doable. As far as
wrapping, we were worried about the same things you brought up. Maybe
just a canopy or tarp over the upper cabin would help, but still let
the plane breathe? Also, wasps seem to love to build nests in any
plane sitting more than a couple of days around here, so we'd have to
plug up all obvious holes and vents to keep them out. Does anyone know
a good source for cans of anti-dessicant we can put in the fuselage to
compensate for the reduced natural airflow?

Allen wrote:
"JAX" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a procedure or can anyone offer advice on putting a plane into
long term storage, so that the airframe is protected and a few years
down the road it can be brought back up with a minimum of fuss and
lubing? Should the plane be wrapped somehow to keep insects and
critters from getting in? The plane is currently flying, and we're in
kind of a humid climate.

If at all possible move the aircraft to a dry climate and pickle the engine.
I don't know about wrapping it, especially in a humid environment. You
would need to use some type of breathable wrap so you wouldn't get problems
from condensation. I used to work at an FBO in New Mexico, we had a V35A
that belonged to a fellow from Florida who was in the Navy and was being
shipped out for several years. The engine was pickled and the windows
covered; that was about it. The airplane was still in the hangar two years
later when I left.

Allen