Old March 19th 09, 03:57 AM posted to fj.kanji,rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

Default How to fly a plain into a mountain???

On Mar 14, 9:05*pm, Harald Gentexeater wrote:
I'm a suicidal pilot and I want to kill myself
by flying into a mountain.

How can I fly into a mountain, so that I will
die for sure???

This guy wrote the book on mountian flying...

Force joins search for missing Helena airplane and pilot
BY MARTIN J. KIDSTON
Independent Record

UPDATED 1:45 p.m.
A search and rescue crew from Malmstrom Air Force Base arrived in
Helena shortly after noon today to join the hunt for a missing Helena
pilot and his plane.

Sparky Imeson's Cessna 180 disappeared from radar in rugged terrain
roughly 18 miles northwest of Bozeman around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Search crews with the Montana Department of Transportation's
aeronautics division spent this morning searching the east slope of
the Elkhorn Mountains, where a cellular tower picked up a signal from
Imeson's phone shortly after the plane dropped off Bozeman radar.

"For the phone to receive that call, he'd have to be in that general
location," said Mike Rogan, aviation support officer for MDT. "It was
the closest tower. Someone tried to call him, but no one answered."
Rogan, along with Jeanne MacPherson, the bureau chief coordinator for
MDT, went out Tuesday night after getting word of the plane's
disappearance.

The department's search plane is specially equipped to spot an
Emergency Locator Transmitter, or ELT, which acti-vates when an
aircraft goes down.

"We went out immediately and did a route search," MacPherson said. "We
went to Bozeman, landed, and flew the route back."

MDT launched several aircraft early this morning hoping good
visibility would reveal the aircraft.

Rogan said the search is being concentrated on the east slope of the
Elkhorn Mountains, in particular, a deep drainage cut by Beaver Creek.

Rogan and Ken Wilhelm, an air mechanic with MDT, flew one of this
morning's missions. Other aircraft from Bozeman joined the hunt.

"You're looking for an airplane that could be in the trees," Wilhelm
said. "It's all snow in here. You've got standing lodgepole trees.
You've got downed trees. You've got short trees. Anything that looks
straight on the ground, you look at it again, and you see two trees
lying at 90 degrees."

The aeronautics division is a busy yet somber place today. Most of the
searchers know Imeson. They notified both Lewis and Clark and
Broadwater county sheriff offices of the pilot's disappearance.

MacPherson said Imeson had not filed a flight plan before leaving
Bozeman on Tuesday afternoon. Montana pilots only need to do so if
traveling more than 250 nautical miles.

But radar suggests that Imeson was flying a direct route between
Bozeman and Helena, one that would have taken him over the Horseshoe
Hills near the south end of the Big Belt Mountains.