Old May 27th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

Default MIRRORGLAZE

the @ 17 is on the White bottle; it advises following with the #10.
Stupid remark; there are no benign solvents except perhaps
water.!

JMF

At 19:39 25 May 2015, Bill D wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 9:00:05 AM UTC-6, firsys wrote:
For year, I used to use mirrorglaze for my canopy,
almost every preflight.
=20
Then it disappeared from local plastics supply.
=20
Bought some online a year or two ago, used with good
results.
Yesterday, I squirted some on the PIK canopy and immediately
started polishing.
To my dismay some patches seemed to polimnerise
and form a hard patch. Continued polishing with
a clean cloth removed some; A water flush did some good
but I was left with a few patches, right in the vsion line,
which did not yield.
Anyone know if there is a benign solvent which will remove these?
=20
John firth

I suspect what you used is Mcguire's #10 (grey bottle) "Mirrorglaze"

which
=
is an excellent if dated canopy polish. (Developed by the USAAF in WWII)
I=
t's still my favorite but it does take more work to remove if allow to
day.=
The principle of operation is that it's a hard, clear wax whose
refractiv=
e index is the same as Plexiglass therefore scratches seem to disapear.
How=
ever, if left on the shelf for too long it tends to leave the patches you
d=
escribe. Always use fresh #10.

The product to remove stubborn dry patches is McGuires #11 (white

bottle).
=
It contains an extremely fine abrasive which is excellent for polishing
ou=
t fine scratches and stubborn #10 stains. The usual sequence is to first
u=
se #11 then #10.