Old December 30th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

Default New Silver Distance Rules?

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 10:06:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
"So no longer can you "remote start" like you could in the past. "

But you can of course have the tow plane haul you all the way to a start point 25 or 50KM away from home if you like. Brilliant rule change. (Not that I'm blaming you)

It certainly does take away a lot of the "safe" silver options, where you would fly 25 km on either side of your home airport. I think this is for the best though, as for newer pilots it really does open your mind up to moving beyond the patch and making an actual off-field landing.

There is still some room for creativity though, like making a final glide silver distance from the wave without turning once....
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...tId=1569283873